November 11, 2007
Information That We Collect
We offer a number of services that do not require you to register for an account or provide any personal information to us, such as MonRoi’s Chess Blog. In order to provide our full range of services, we may collect the following types of information:
1) Information you provide - When you sign up for a MonRoi Account or other MonRoi service or promotion that requires registration, we ask you for personal information (such as your name, email address and an account password). For certain products and services, such as our MonRoi PCM, chess tournament services, we also request credit card or other payment account information. We may combine the information you submit under your account with information from other MonRoi services or third parties in order to provide you with a better experience and to improve the quality of our services.
3) Log information - When you use MonRoi services, our servers automatically record information that your browser sends whenever you visit a website. These server logs may include information such as your web request, Internet Protocol address, browser type, browser language, the date and time of your request and one or more cookies that may uniquely identify your browser.
4) User communications - When you send email or other communication to MonRoi, we may retain those communications in order to process your inquiries, respond to your requests and improve our services.
5) Affiliated sites - We offer some of our services in connection with other web sites. Personal information that you provide to those sites may be sent to MonRoi in order to deliver the service. We process such information in accordance with this Policy. The affiliated sites may have different privacy practices and we encourage you to read their privacy policies.
6) Links - MonRoi may present links in a format that enables us to keep track of whether these links have been followed. We use this information to improve the quality of our customized chess content and advertising.
1) Providing our products and services to users, including the display of customized content and advertising;
2) Auditing, research and analysis in order to maintain, protect and improve our services;
3) Ensuring the technical functioning of our network; and
4) Developing new services.
In some cases, we process personal information on a server outside your own country. We may process personal information to provide our own services. In some cases, we may process personal information on behalf of and according to the instructions of a third party, such as our advertising partners.
MonRoi only shares personal information with other companies or individuals outside of MonRoi in the following limited circumstances:
2) We have a good faith belief that access, use, preservation or disclosure of such information is reasonably necessary to (a) satisfy any applicable law, regulation, legal process or enforceable governmental request, (b) enforce applicable Terms of Service, including investigation of potential violations thereof, (c) detect, prevent, or otherwise address fraud, security or technical issues, or (d) protect against imminent harm to the rights, property or safety of MonRoi, its users or the public as required or permitted by law.
We may share with third parties certain pieces of aggregated, non-personal information, such as the number of users who followed a particular chess game, for example, or how many users clicked on a particular advertisement. Such information does not identify you individually.
We built MonRoi to make it easy to share information with your chess friends. You choose what information you put in your profile, including contact and personal information and pictures.
When you use MonRoi, you may set up your personal profile, form relationships, send messages, chat about live chess games, enter comments in the chess blog and perform searches among other things. We collect this information so that we can provide you the service and offer personalized features. In most cases, we retain it so that, for instance, you can return to view prior messages you have sent or easily see your friend list.
You can decline to submit personal information to any of our services, in which case MonRoi may not be able to provide those services to you.
MonRoi processes personal information only for the purposes for which it was collected and in accordance with this Policy or any applicable service-specific privacy notice. We review our data collection, storage and processing practices to ensure that we only collect, store and process the personal information needed to provide or improve our services. We take reasonable steps to ensure that the personal information we process is accurate, complete, and current, but we depend on our users to update or correct their personal information whenever necessary.
When you use MonRoi services, we make good faith efforts to provide you with access to your personal information and either to correct this data if it is inaccurate or to delete such data at your request if it is not otherwise required to be retained by law or for legitimate business purposes. We ask individual users to identify themselves and the information requested to be accessed, corrected or removed before processing such requests, and we may decline to process requests that are unreasonably repetitive or systematic, require disproportionate technical effort, or would be extremely impractical, or for which access is not otherwise required. In any case where we provide information access and correction, we perform this service free of charge, except if doing so would require a disproportionate effort.
We recommend that minors over the age of 13 ask their parents for permission before sending any information about themselves to anyone over the Internet.
MonRoi takes appropriate precautions to protect our users' information. Your account information is located on a server behind a firewall. When you enter sensitive information (such as credit card number), we encrypt that information using secure socket layer technology (SSL). Because email and instant messaging are not recognized as secure communications, we request that you not send credit card information to us by email or instant messaging services.